|Phoebastria immutabilis||Order: Procellariiformes||Family: Diomedeidae (Albatrosses)|
The Laysan Albatross, one of the smaller albatrosses, is also one of only two breeding in Hawaii and the Midway Atoll. The individual in the picture (taken by John Klavitter/U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service) is Wisdom, who was originally banded as a breeding bird in 1956 when she was at least 5 years old, and quite possibly even older. In 2016, she was raising yet another chick at age 65 or older! She is the oldest known wild bird.
Wisdom was originally banded by Chandler Robbins, who in 2016 is still alive and well at age 97.
Laura's Published Works
- Archiving the Last Decade of "For the Birds" Programs 2016
- All Albatrosses, Great and Small, Part II 2016
- All Albatrosses, Great and Small, Part I 2016
- Oldest Wild Albatross 2014
- Old Cootdom 2014
- No, Birds Do Not Give Birth, and More about Wisdom the Albatross 2013
- Oldest Wild Bird: Wisdom the Albatross Update 2013 2013
- Oldest Wild Bird: Wisdom the Albatross 2011 2011
- Birthday 2010 2010
- Birds in the News: Seabirds Eating Garbage 2004
- Department of Defense vs. Birds and the Environment 2003
- Birthday 2001 2001