Laura's Speaking Engagements
Since her 70th birthday, Laura is retired, but is still doing occasional programs. Contact her for more information.
BUT although Laura is fully vaccinated and boostered, she is still being very conservative about travel and indoor venues. She is 70 years old and has had two heart attacks and breast cancer, her husband is 71 and has had cancer, and she provides childcare for her unvaccinated 1-year-old grandson who cannot yet be vaccinated. So DON’T EVEN ASK about indoor speaking engagements unless ALL participants will be masked until the risk of Covid is over.
- 101 Ways to Help Birds
- BP Oil Spill
- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind: What I learned from rehabbing birds
- Into the Nest: Intimate Views of the Courting, Parenting, and Family Lives of Familiar Birds
- Laura's Best Bird EVER! I went looking for birds, and found joy, love, redemption, and more.
- Laura's Conservation Big Year
- More than You Thought You Wanted to Know about Black-capped Chickadees
- Owls and Hummingbirds
- The Evolution of Field Guides
- Uncommon Facts about Common Birds
- Winter Survival
Past Keynotes and Other Major Presentations
(This doesn’t include workshops, field trips, etc.).
- Hampshire Bird Club meeting, Massachusetts, 2019 .
- Brookline Bird Club meeting, Massachusetts, 2019.
- Southeast Arizona Birding Festival Banquet Keynote, Arizona, 2019 .
- L.L.Bean/Maine Audubon Birding Festival, Maine, 2019.
- Indiana Dunes Birding Festival Banquet Keynote, Indiana, 2019 .
- Fremont Area District Library Saturday Morning Lecture, Michigan, 2019.
- Ocean State Bird Club annual meeting, Rhode Island, 2019
- Acadia Birding Festival, Maine, 2018.
- Iowa Ornithologists’ Union spring meeting, Iowa, 2018.
- High Plains Snow Goose Festival, Colorado, 2017.
- Hog Island Audubon Camp “Joy of Birding”, Maine, 2016 and 2018.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology Monday Night Seminar, New York, 2015.
- The Biggest Week in American Birding, Ohio, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018.
- Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge Migratory Bird Day, Wisconsin, 2015, 2018.
- Wings ‘N Wetlands, Kansas, 2015.
- Georgia Ornithological Society Fall Meeting, Georgia, 2014.
- Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory, Minnesota, 2014.
- Chequamagon Bay Birding and Nature Festival, Wisconsin, 2014.
- Lesser Prairie-Chicken Festival, Oklahoma, 2014.
- Red Slough Birding Festival, Oklahoma, 2013.
- Wisconsin Society for Ornithology Annual Convention, Wisconsin, 2013.
- Northwoods Birding Festival, Wisconsin, 2012.
- Cleveland Metroparks North Shore Nature Festival, Ohio, 2011.
- Audubon Society of Missouri Fall Meeting, Missouri, 2011.
- Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival, Florida, 2010.
- Sax-Zim Bog Birding Festival, Minnesota, 2008, 2018.
- Environmental Education Association of New Mexico Meeting, New Mexico, 2007.
- Central Valley Birding Symposium, California, 2007.
- American Birding Association Convention, Minnesota, 2002.
- Lake Erie Wing Watch Weekend, Ohio, 2000.
- Detroit Lakes Festival of Birds, Minnesota, 1990s.
“I had the pleasure of hearing Laura speak at The Biggest Week in American Birding in 2012. Her talk centered around common birds that were familiar even to beginners, but she described so many fascinating details about their lives and behaviors that the veteran birders in the audience were just as enthralled as the rookies. I would recommend her presentations to birders of all levels of interest and experience—you will be both educated and entertained!” —Barb Padgett
“The information that Laura shared with us, along with the large screen visuals, was extensive and fascinating, but what made the evening memorable was Laura herself. She has a wonderful sense of humor, is a natural storyteller, and is highly articulate yet completely down-to-earth.” —Donna Miller, regarding Laura’s talk at Crex Meadows, 2015, Friends of Crex Meadows Spring 2015 newsletter
“I have heard Laura speak to an audience of children and teachers about owls and hummingbirds in Houston, Minnesota, and to a group of local birders describing her Big Year, and she was sufficiently knowledgable and entertaining to maintain the rapt attention of all attendees! The exquisite photos are icing on the cake—or suet on the pine cone?” —Kerry Everett